The Fatherless Generation
Americas Youth Needs Our Help – The Real Elephant in the Room
We believe one of the biggest problems in every city is the break-down of families and the effect it has on young men. Elephant in the Room wants to show support and help make a difference where possible. For every service that is sold in our Lounge, we proudly make a donation to a local charity that helps mentor and support fatherless boys.
How Big Is the Elephant In the Room?
- 43% of US children live without their father (US Department of Census)
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census)
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes (US D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census)
- 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes (Center for Disease Control)
- 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes (National Principals Association Report)
- 70% of youths in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Sept. 1988)
- 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes (Fulton Co. Georgia, Texas Dept. of Correction)
- 71% of pregnant teenagers lack a father. [U.S. Department of Health and Human Services press release, Friday, March 26, 1999]
Father Factor in Education – Fatherless children have a 50% higher chance of dropping out of school.
• Children with involved Fathers are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
• Children with involved Fathers are 70% less likely to not finish school.
• Children with involved Fathers have a higher chance to get A’s in school.
• Children with involved Fathers have a higher chance to be engaged in extracurricular activities and enjoy school.
• 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.